About the project
The purpose of this service is to support unpaid carers while an Assessment of Need (Carers Assessment) is being processed by the local authority (Pembrokeshire County Council).
This involves the provision of practical, domiciliary care and support to unpaid adult Carers, enabling them to take a meaningful break each week, from their caring responsibilities to reduce the physical and emotional stress of caring for a loved one, and help them to maintain their own health and wellbeing, thus enabling and supporting them in their caring role and avoid a breakdown in the caring relationship.
It also offers an opportunity to the enhance the wellbeing of the cared for individual, by promoting independence and supporting/creating social and recreational opportunities.
The purpose of this service is to provide respite while Carers Assessments are being processed by the local authority and normally offers 3 hours per week (during the day) for up to 12 weeks while the Carers Assessment is pending.
All support is provided based on an individual’s needs, desires, and personal preferences to promote wellbeing and independence. This includes:
- Support with basic personal care needs such as toileting.
- Support with basic nutrition and hydration.
- Support with prescribed medication (prompting only).
- Support with basic mobility needs (but not the use of Manual Handling equipment, such as hoists, moving aids etc)
- Support to access local community and attend social events (Carers)
This service is registered with the Care Inspectorate Wales
Eligibility / Referral Process
To be eligible to access this service:
- The Carer and Cared for must be 18 years old or older
- The Cared for, must reside in the county of Pembrokeshire
- The Carer must not be being paid for any care they provide, to the cared for.
- The Carer must be awaiting the local authority completing an assessment of need
This service can receive referrals Friends and family members.
- Health & Social Care Professionals.
- Information Services / other organisations e.g., Community Connectors, outreach workers, etc.
- Self-referrals/family and friends.
Referrals can be made by directly via Pembrokeshire Carers Information and Support Service (PCISS) on 01437 611002 or by emailing PCISS@adferiad.org